Is anyone else sick and tired of feeding their kids, how do I put this, well, CRAP! Miss H seems to subsist on hot dogs, chicken nuggets, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and "cheesy noodles." I try to get her to eat what we eat for dinner, but that doesn't usually go over well.
I know, I know. She is a toddler. She is too busy to eat. Pick your battles, etc., etc.
But guess what? I feel guilty about letting her eat that stuff. So I got a little motivated today to try out some kid-friendly nutritious recipes to try to get some vitamins in the little lady.
(Did I mention she has a hacking cough and a fever? This could be the reason for my motivation....)
I found these recipes in my baby cookbook, Baby Bites by Bridget Swinney.
First up I decided to try a Maui smoothie. Whenever I purchase a smoothie for my enjoyment, Miss H inevitably ends up drinking
some all of it.
- 1/2 Cup pineapple packed in juice, frozen (I used one bowl of Dole Pineapple tidbits)
- 1/2 Frozen banana (I cut a whole banana up into slices and put it in a ziploc bag in the freezer)
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used Vanilla flavored)
- Honey to taste (for babies older than 1 year)
- Blend all ingredients and serve.
Perfection! It was thin enough to sip through a straw, which Miss H loves. Chock full of Vitamin C, B12, B6, Riboflavin, and Zinc. How much did she eat? Two sips...
Next up, Oven-Fried Zucchini Sticks. When we lived in Colorado, I used to go to this restaurant that served Fried Zucchini. I am normally not a fan, but they were de-lish! So I decided to give this a try.
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 3 medium zucchini
- Milk or beaten egg yolk
- Slice zucchini into rounds or long sticks. Preheat oven to 450. Spray cooking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mix bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and cheese together in large zipper bag.
- Dip each zucchini slice in milk or egg, then drop into bag and shake until coated with crumbs.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes until tender and brown.
- Serve with warm marinara sauce or ranch dressing.
They really tasted a lot better than they look! But how much did Miss H eat? None...
She fell asleep on the couch!
Maybe I'll have more luck when she isn't sick....