Monday, February 22, 2010

Temper Tantrum Tales

Okay, I really need to get this off my chest. So here goes:

Today I decided to go back to the gym. It's been...awhile. I am not making good on my resolution to do the Couch to 5K running plan and have been feeling guilty about that, but that is another post entirely.

So I bundled up the Rosebuds and headed out. Everything went smoothly. The girls had no problem going into the child care center and I had one glorious hour all to myself to sweat it out.

Good stuff.

While watching HGTV exercising on the elliptical machine, I ran into a mommy-friend whom I met last Friday at the library story time. Her boys are the same ages as my Rosebuds, and we struck up a conversation. She invited me to join her and her kids in the children's playspace after our workouts.

Sounds like fun!

I have never visited the playspace at this gym before, and let me tell you, it is amazing. If I weren't thirtysomething, I would be all in this thing. It is seriously cool.

Well, don't you know my little monkey, Miss H, loved it! She played for over an hour. She loved it so much she did not want to go home. She did not want to go home so much that I had to carry her out of there literally kicking and screaming.

Can you picture this:

Worn out, out of shape mom, carries sleeping Baby B in the infant carrier AND kicking and screaming two year old AND gym bag out of the gym to our car. She was not only kicking and screaming, she was flailing her arms trying to hit me and pull my hair.

Awesome.

I have only been more embarrassed one other time in my life and it involved another temper tantrum by this same child almost exactly one year ago.

When I got them both in the car (with Baby B still asleep thank goodness), Miss H continued to cry and scream for about 5 minutes. When she settled down, we talked about her behavior and she apologized.

I am still mortified, but I managed to somehow keep my cool. I just don't understand why she does this every once in awhile. Most of the time she is a very well behaved kid who listens and obeys. But sometimes, the temper tantrum rules.

Can anyone relate?

Erin

9 comments:

Leah Rubin said...

Hey, she's only human, and I'd say if it only happens once a year, you're in really good shape!

They're cute as can be, btw, and I found you on SITS. Come visit me, too-- I think we're in sync...

Leah

Shell said...

I'd be more surprised if someone told you that they couldn't relate..and then I'd probably call them a liar.

The fun of toddlers.

Unknown said...

But as the good mommy, you removed her from the situation without trying to talk or bribe her out of her tantrum. Great move. That's probably why the tantrums are few and far between.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, I can totally relate. Except, my one year old would have woken up and probably joined in with the screaming.

Cheryl said...

No advice b/c I'm not a mom yet; just some *hugs* for 'ya.

Kmama said...

I can more than relate. Buddy is famous for his temper tantrums. Even as a baby, he would get so upset and cry so hard that he would stop breathing and pass out momentarily. Talk about feeling like a bad parent. Thankfully, he no longer passes out, but that doesn't mean that his tantrums are any less intense. This too shall pass, right??

Unknown said...

Oh, honey, I can totally relate. Isabella is my meltdown queen. She's always been very strong willed...just on Saturday when we left the park she did the whole screaming, kicking, hitting me routine while leaving.

I totally looked like I was kidnapping her :( Thankfully Madelyn was at home with Leo.

You're not alone--and vent to us anytime. xoxo

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I am definitely starting to relate to this! And I get so embarrassed! = /

My son is 7 months, and if he doesn't get exactly what he wants, he wails in public. I wasn't expecting to have to deal with this until he was at least 2! Little did I know!

Best of luck! And good for you for getting to the gym with two little ones. Much more impressive than me! I sit on the couch all day!

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

Just stopping by to thank you for visiting me on my SITS day and leaving some blog love!

Blessings,
LMM