Monday, March 7, 2011

A portrait of my children

I am completely obsessed with having pictures taken of my kids. I wish I were a photographer and could take amazing pictures of them myself, but alas I am not. My point-and-shoot and I get some okay to average pictures. When I am looking for great photos, I turn to the professionals.

Friday afternoon I planned to get Miss H's 4 year old and Lil' B's 18 month portraits taken. Earlier in the week we picked out what they would both wear and had it approved by Mr. Rose. Well, when Friday afternoon rolled around that dress was too "ouchy" for Miss H and she didn't like the rope (ribbon) around it. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, we decided on another dress that was just as cute but not quite as matchy-matchy as what Lil' B was wearing. Fine.

Now for the little one. Lil' B got dressed with no problems, but when it came time to put on her shoes she had other ideas. No cutsie little sandals for me, no sir! She wants the sneakers, with no socks by the way, 'cause that's how she rolls.

I finally manage to get the shoe situation under control when it is time to tackle the hair. Why do I even bother? Lil' B insists she wants a hair bow. After I wrap the little elastic around her water spout about 50 times, she pulls it right out. Okay then, no hair bow. Miss H is happy with a simple barrette, but wants to wear a necklace however. A girl's gotta accessorize, right?

Once we are all dressed to the nines, we head to the portrait studio. We arrived a few minutes early which causes me to have to listen to Miss H ask me every thirty seconds, "Is it our turn, yet?" I manage to distract both girls with some toys they have out for a few minutes of peace before it is in fact our turn.

The whole studio session is a blur. All I can remember are two little girls running amuck, trying to climb up the background, throwing silk flowers all over the place, doing anything but listen to me or the photographer. Lil' B laid down when she was supposed to be standing. Miss H stood when she was supposed to be sitting. The poor photographer would try to pose their hands and feet, but in the two seconds it took her to click the photo the pose was gone. We were a ruckus. Twenty minutes later, I surrendered.

After the photos were taken, I handed out drinks and goldfish. Too bad for me, I had packed milk for Lil' B and a juice box for Miss H for which I then had to listen to B scream for juice. Thankfully, Miss H did share her juice and we were able to pick out a few photos to have prints made.

At the end of this two hour (from dressing to leaving the studio) ordeal, I was exhausted but pleased. We managed to document just one more stage of the cuteness, and some of the attitudes as well. Let me know what you think of the results.








7 comments:

Lynn MacDonald said...

I can't tell you how many portraits were taken through tears and tantrums...but I treasure them and as I look at my big mouthed, big kids I wonder where those beautiful little ones went?

KLZ said...

That hands on hip one just slays me! Omg they're too perfect!

Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

I'm pretty sure the last one is my FAV...they are just too cute! Worth all the hassle I'm sure :)

Jess said...

LOVE the last pic... all the hassle must have been worth it for that pic alone. :)

Shell said...

Oh, they are so cute!

I never would have guessed all the trouble you went through to get the pics!

Liz said...

I LOVE their poses in their individual shots!

Stacey said...

LOL Their personality totally shows through the pictures! You got some great shots of your girls despite all the chaos! Getting pictures is one of the most stressful things, in my opinion!