Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My fall book challenge

As I have written on this blog before, I love to read. I just don't do it as often as I would like to. About a month ago, I joined a book club and was prompted to read two books that were a little out of my normal realm of reading. It was great because I didn't have to figure out what to read. They told me what to read, I read it, and had a lovely adult discussion about the books.
 
Book club has since prompted me to get back into my reading time and I am really enjoying it. Earlier this year, I discovered that Katrina at Callapidder Days does a twice a year reading challenge. Basically, you create a list of books you want to read and try to complete your list in the allotted amount of time. So, I decided to join in the fun!
 
 
Here is my list. I realize that it is probably a lot shorter than most people playing along with this challenge, but what can I say? I have already read 10 of my "12 Books in 2010" personal reading goal for this year. Anything over that is just gravy.  If I can read all these by the deadline of December 22, I am going to "up my game" and set a goal of 36 books in 2011. (Yikes!)

1. Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel

2. Naomi and her daughters, Walter Wangerin

3. Juliet, Ann Fortier

4. The Thorn, Beverly Lewis

8. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet, Jamie Ford

9. The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton

10. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens

11. Skipping Christmas, John Grisham

I also have a couple of other goals for this challenge:

1. Spend no more than $3 per book. That means using the library or book swap.

2. Speaking of the library, I want to make a weekly trip to the library to my Rosebuds to storytime. We do this sporadically, but I am going to try to make it part of our weekly routine.

3. Speaking of the Rosebuds, my final goal is to read to them for 30 minutes before bedtime. We are already reading a lot to Miss H, but Lil' B tends to get the short end of that stick.

Interested in joining in the fun? Head on over to Callapidder Days to link up. Happy Reading!

Erin

12 comments:

Shell said...

Good luck! I had a goal of 52 books this year. I think I'm on 34 or something like that. Used to do better, but blog reading cuts into my book reading time!

Kmama said...

I wish I had more time to read. Good luck with the books. I haven't heard of any of those.

Baby Boberg & Parents said...

Joining a reading club sounds like fun. Adult conversation about a book sounds great! When you have the kiddos you forget how much you miss that.

Ronnica said...

Good for you for upping your commitment to read to your kids! I always count that as the number 1 factor that turned me into a reader and a lifelong learner.

Ronnica said...

Oh, and I was also going to mention that I love Edith Wharton!

Shawntele said...

What a great list; you reminded me that I forgot to put A Christmas Carol on mine - oops!! Good luck with the challenge. :O)

Jimi said...

Looks like a great list! Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet is on my list, too. It was fun to see it one someone else's!

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Your list looks great, Erin, and I think 11 books is do-able and reasonable. I just read Hotel on the Corner... this summer and really enjoyed it.

Glad you found my blog and that you decided to join Fall Into Reading 2010!

Unknown said...

I love reading--and it's one of my goals to start reading more, although it cuts back on blogging, but hey :)


I love taking the girls to library time! Especially when they behave...

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Great list. And I love the goal of taking your girls to the library. We did that often when my boys were really little and now it's one of their favorite places!

Lynda Coker said...

Following you from the 2011 Dream Team
http://colorcrazedart.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

Your goals warm this reading teacher & library advocate's heart. :)