Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My least favorite "Mom Job"

Being a mother is full of ups and downs, joys and frustrations. We've all been there when the highs are really high, like seeing your daughter swim by herself for the first time, and the lows are really low, like when you have a baby in the NICU.

Some aspects of this job come with the territory: changing diapers, doing laundry, preparing meals. While none of these are particularly "fun," I don't really mind doing them. They are just part of the job.

With any job there are always some tasks that one would consider less than desirable. One might even go so far as to say despise. When I was working (outside the home,) it was putting together my time sheet. I never remembered to do it, so I usually had to go back and fill it out for the entire month the day that it was due, and most of the time I just guestimated. (Jess T and Erin L better shush!)

I love being a stay at home Mom, and I wouldn't give it up for the world. But there are some things about this "job" that I really just cannot stand. Here are the top three:

3. Bathtime - I know, I know! Bathtime should be so much fun with the splashing and the cute little giggles. Not so much for me. I am all business at bathtime: wash the hair, wash the body, and get out. My little ones would stay in the bathtub all day if I let them, so it is inevitably a fight each an every time to get them out.

2. Middle of the Night Paci Relocation - Poor Lil' B loves her paci. So much so that if she loses it in her crib in the middle of the night, she cries and cries until I go in there, locate it, and put it back in her mouth. This is normally not a problem, but lately she has been doing it more and more and it is making me think about calling the Paci Fairy to come and take them away. I do NOT want to see that day though. Talk about a Catch-22.

1. Remembering the Lovey - Both of the girls have a lovey. Miss H has a pink teddy bear blanket, Teb-teb, that absolutely has to go everywhere with her. She sleeps with it at night, it cuddles with her on the couch during movie time, and it rides with her in the car. Lil' B also has a brown bunny blanket, Bo-Bo, for her lovey. She has recently been demanding that it go everywhere with us as well. I cannot tell you how much time I spend everyday locating these loveys. I have gotten pretty good at keeping a mental note everytime I see one laying around, just so that I can remember when one of the girls inevitably comes crying for hers. But goodness help me if we ever forget one of these loveys at home. Like I said, not my favorite part of the job.

What is the least favorite part of your job, as a parent or otherwise?

5 comments:

EMM said...

My least favorite mom job would be keeping Munchkin's mouth off of the following: shopping cart handles, random used toys at Barnes and Noble, mommy's keys, mommy's purse strap, mommy's engagement ring, etc. Bath time I kind of enjoy, because he keeps himself entertained for a while, and I all I have to do is hover and supervise. It's cleaning up bath time that I also hate- I usually forget and that means the next day there are soggy bath toys, wet wash cloths, etc. every where.

Liz Mays said...

I never liked bathtime either! They were adorable in there, but it was a definite chore for me!

However snuggling those warm and sweet smelling jammied up little bodies after it was priceless!

Liz said...

You have no idea how much I loathe timesheets! Both of my jobs before kids had those and it was the bane of my existence!

Unknown said...

I'm not a fan of bath time either. I always leave the bathroom looking like a wet rat!

Heidi said...

Hands down, it's the laundry! It never ends!